The SouthCoast Medical Group Clinical Laboratory plays an active and key role in assisting our physicians to diagnose medical problems and manage the overall health care of our patients. The satellite laboratories and phlebotomy services located in each of SouthCoast Medical Group’s primary care offices supplement our main full service laboratory on Eisenhower Drive in Savannah.
The highly skilled and experienced laboratory staff provides, in most cases, less than 24-hour turnaround time for laboratory results. When necessary, the laboratory staff is able to provide “STAT” test results. Results with critical or special importance are communicated directly to the physician. This one-on-one contact with SouthCoast Medical Group physicians enables the laboratory to run additional tests or re-run tests of previously received samples, if requested. The extensive range of SouthCoast Medical Group laboratory services is a reflection of the laboratory staff’s focus on ensuring physician satisfaction as well as enhancing patient care and convenience.
SouthCoast Medical Group takes pride in the fact that with the aid of high-speed state-of-the-art equipment, 1.5 million tests are performed each year and are available for physician review via our electronic medical record system. This online feature provides the physician with immediate access to laboratory test results and is particularly beneficial to physicians and patients because it not only reduces turn-around-time, but leads to quicker diagnosis and faster treatment of illnesses. In addition, automatic trending analysis is available to physicans for patients who have laboratory testing performed through the SouthCoast Medical Group laboratory on a regular basis. This is an important tool for diagnosis and treatment of diabetes, prostate cancer and other types of illnesses.
The following is a list of testing performed at the SouthCoast Medical Group Laboratory:
- Coagulation: Prothrombin times including INRs.
- Hematology: Complete Blood Counts, Customized or Manual Differentials, Reticulocyte Counts and Sedimentation Rates.
- General Chemistry: Hepatic function, Renal function, Diabetes Monitoring and Lipid Testing.
- Special Chemistry: Endocrinology, Reproductive Endocrinology, Therapeutic Drugs, Tumor Markers, Anemia
- Urinalysis: Automated Urinalysis and Urine Microscopic.
- Screening Tests: Pregnancy, Infectious Mono, H-pylori, Rapid Strep, Rapid Flu, and Occult Blood.